Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Family History Overhaul

Some exciting things are underway for FamilySearch.org. This Deseret News article mentions some of things that are coming to FamilySearch. I'm not incredibly excited by the online tree features after seeing so many errors on for-profit endeavors such as OneGreatFamily and Ancestry's OneWorldTree. Some who do genealogical research aren't too concerned about accuracy. Actually, they don't seem to be too concerned about, well . . . actual research.

I do look forward to the digitizing of records and the availability of indexes for those records. This will be a great benefit to actual research and provider greater access to records that would otherwise have to be ordered on microfilm or microfiche and accessed through a Family History Library (FHC) or a local library. I just haven't had much time for that type of effort (though I have in the past early in my research). I greatly enjoy Ancestry.com but it is expensive to access the records I really want.

It sounds like a lot of effort has gone into the changes for FamilySearch. I hope it creates and maintains excitement in doing family history research. The more working at it (doing actual research) will make for more information shared!

No comments: